Monday, June 11, 2012

Sitting Scratching My Head

I have been struggling for a while now to work with cracking medium. I have 4 different brands of this medium, and I am convinced that I am doing something wrong. A few months ago I bought 2 bottles of colored cracking medium, and today, only today opened one bottle to find it almost dry.

I painted my page purple, and while waiting for that to dry, I mixed the crackle paint to get it to a gooey consistency. It was not spreadable with a paint brush so I used a palette knife to spread it, and left it to dry. Visiting it a few hours later, I took one look at it and walked away disappointed. Sure the thing cracked but the cracks were raised off the page and you could actually use a nail and scratch the cracks off. No clue now with what to do with this page. Can't tear it out because I have something pretty on the back. AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!
Another couple of hours later I used acrylic gloss medium to cover, hoping that the medium would stick the flaky bits back to the page. It did. Left it to dry. The outcome, something like leather.
I didn't like it at all. The color of the paints, the cracks, and the leathery look. But I needed to keep going and turn it around to something I would like.


 The photo does not do it justice, and I'm not sure what to make of it.


Two 3-D liner paint pens saved the day. A few doodles and swirls and a hand made flower sticker turned it from disaster to victory. Now I just need to find some thoughtful words to add to the page. Not one of my favorite projects but I learned something new, and I did not give up!

No comments: